Algoma Respiratory Education Program
83 Willow Avenue, Sault Ste. Marie, ON, P6B 5B1
Phone: 705-759-7471 - Jen Zufelt, Respiratory Therapist · Phone: 705-541-2303 - Janice Belanger, Respiratory Therapist · Phone: 705-541-2303 - Sue, MacInnis, Respiratory Therapist · Fax: 705-541-2298
HOURS OF OPERATION:
Mon - Fri 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm (lunch) · Sat, Sun, Holidays Closed
The Algoma Respiratory Education Program is a service provided by the Group Health Centre to the people of the Algoma District who have, or are at risk of developing, respiratory problems.
Certified Respiratory Educators provide evidence-based screening, assessment, treatment, education and support in order to assist patients improve their quality of life.
The Certified Respiratory Educators assist clients who have asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or who need screening for lung disease.
Clients with asthma learn:
- How to use puffers and how to take medication as prescribed
- Warning signs and symptoms of reactions to watch for and how to know allergic and non-allergic triggers
- How to avoid exposure to triggers by changing your environment
- The importance of not smoking and living in a smoke-free environment
- Managing asthma using an Action Plan and peak flow monitoring (meter that measures the amount of air that can be expelled from the lungs)
Clients with COPD work with a team of health care professionals including a Certified Respiratory Educator, Kinesiologist, Dietitian and Social Worker. This team provides education and support about:
- Causes of COPD and what you can do about it
- How COPD affects your lungs
- Help to quit smoking
- Medications and how to take them
- How to check how you are doing
- Recognizing if you have a chest infection and knowing the steps to take
- Exercise and conserving your energy
- Managing stress in your life
- Following a healthy diet
Available to people who have, or are at risk of developing, respiratory problems.