230 McNabb Street, Sault Ste. Marie, ON, P6B 1Y5
Phone: 1-800-461-2407 ext. 2240 - Toll Free in Algoma · Phone: 705-541-2240 · Fax: 705-541-2216
HOURS OF OPERATION:
Mon - Fri 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm (lunch) · Sat, Sun, Holidays Closed
GHC’s Anticoagulation Clinic (AC) is staffed with registered nurses who have specialized training in the monitoring of blood work (INR).*
*INR: International Normalized Ratio (INR) testing applies to patients who take Warfarin. INR testing evaluates how long it takes blood to clot and is an important test to maximize the efficiency of the treatment.
GHC’s anticoagulation nurses:
- adjust Warfarin (Coumadin) dose based on the results of INR blood testing
- assess for minor and major bleeding episodes
- meet with newly referred patients on anticoagulant therapy
- provide education sessions regarding anticoagulant therapy throughout the year
- provide education tools and literature as needed
- assist patients with concerns with their anticoagulant therapy as needed
- follow up with patients that miss lab visits
- liaise with the referring health care provider as required
- follow-up with pharmacy to provide Warfarin refills on behalf of health care provider office
- coordinate anticoagulant bridging for patients requiring time off of Warfarin for surgery etc.
- contact referring health care provider for any problems falling outside the protocol.
LifeLabs On-Site Point of Care Testing Hours:
Mon - Fri 8:00 am to 3:50pm · Sat, Sun, Holidays Closed
Early closure the second Thursday of every month at 2:30pm for Staff Education
To book appointments, please call the Appointment Centre at 705-759-4444 or Nurse at 705-541-2240.
Nurses are available on site the same hours as LifeLabs or via phone from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
Walk-ins for lab testing are preferred in the afternoon.